Monday, July 11, 2016

My strange thoughts on the UK leaving the EU

[WARNING: Prepare to read the ramblings of an amateur writer who knows nothing about politics]

I'm not sure if I've ever said this, but I hate politics. Especially American politics, because they make little to no sense to me. I could talk a lot about how much I dislike American politics. In general though, I just really don't like politics, American or otherwise. I especially hate it when the politics of other countries (be it France, America, or whatever) start taking the world by storm, because then there is no way I can avoid the thousands of links and memes surrounding the whole political drama.
However, the whole recent thing with the United Kingdom leaving the European Union has been… interesting. I mean, I know nothing about the events leading up to the disunion (something about the government not wanting to deal with the immigrants that came with the union), but it has been made clear to me that this event is huge.
Before the disunion, I was already hearing tons of drama surrounding the presidential election in America and absolutely hating it. Largely because the amount of drama was actually starting to stress me out. I was, and still am, under the impression that one wrong choice in this election could bring about a terrible, world changing event. Possibly the end of the world. I'm sure many people, Americans or otherwise, legitimately feel this way.
But when I heard about the UK's disunion form the EU, now THAT made me feel like I was living in a world changing event. It took me a long time, and my own strange thought process to realize just how big this event is.
See, lately my mind has been flooded with tons of story ideas and concepts. I could talk a lot about how much of a problem that has been for me, but that's for another time. Anyway, one of the concepts that's fascinated me is alternate takes on history. Things like steampunk kind of fall into this category, but I'm thinking more broadly. Basically, what if one big thing in history had been changed? How would this effect the world from then on, what kind of interesting settings would such a big change create? Things like this have me fascinated, and so lately my mind has been coming up with all sorts of 'what ifs' in history.
What if Napoleon had won? What if India had succeeded in winning its independence from the British Empire? What if someone besides George Washington was America's first president? What if Prussia was still on the map? I could go on, but then I'd start getting paranoid that someone will steal one of my ideas. Anyway, it's stuff like this that I think about. I either take a certain event in history and change the outcome, or I sometimes take a certain historical setting (i.e. Canada during the 1930s) and throw in an unexpected, and often kinda stupid, factor that would certainly change history from then on (i.e. an epidemic caused a brief zombie apocalypse in Canada, but was squashed thanks to help from Greenland).
So it was when I was thinking up these things when I heard about the UK leaving the EU. And though I could only think, "Wow. I'm not exactly sure what that means yet, but that sounds big," after a while I started to realize that this was something that this is totally something I would have thought up for an alternate take on history.
'What if Britain left the European Union?'
And strangely enough, that's what succeeded in bringing home to me how big this whole event really is. I still don't understand it exactly, but I do understand that as a result Britain is floundering, Scotland is probably even more unhappy about being a part of the United Kingdom, and the whole world is practically shaking right now. I CAN TELL I'M LIVING OUT A CHAPTER OF HISTORY AND IT'S HONESTLY KIND OF FRIGHTENING.

No comments:

Post a Comment