Saturday, March 5, 2016

T4YP

Today, March 5 2016, I just went for my first audition. I auditioned for a drama program called Theater For Young People (T4YP), which accepts people from sixteen to twenty-five. The only way to join is if you pass the audition, and as I just said, I auditioned.
Probably haven't mentioned it before, but for the past two years I've been a part of a drama class at KLPac. This year is my third year, and since I was old enough to audition, I did. The audition required that I present two two minute monologues, something from Shakespeare and something from a contemporary source, like a modern playwright or movie screenplay. With this in mind, I memorized something from A Midsummer Night's Dream and planned to memorize something from one of the Lord of the Ring's movies. The problem is, for the past two weeks, I spent my time memorizing a dialogue (two people conversing), not a monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream, having misunderstood what a 'monologue' is (one person giving something akin to a speech). It wasn't until I started searching for contemporary monologues (just in case an LoTR one didn't work out) that I found this out. That was yesterday, the day before the audition.
In a very last minute effort, my dad and I surfed through YouTube, looking for both contemporary monologues and Shakespearean monologues. We finally settled on an actual monologue from A Midsummer Night's Dream by the character Helena, and on a monologue from the movie Shawshank Redemption. I spent most of last night memorizing the latter, and much of this morning memorizing the former. Yes, I was SERIOUSLY cutting it close.
When I was waiting for my turn at the audition today, I was super nervous. I had spent a half hour with my parents this morning, reviewing how I ought to act out the Shawshank Redemption monologue. That left little time to actually work out my Shakespearean monologue, which I was seriously having trouble remembering. It was largely due to the latter that I was so anxious - so anxious in fact, I legitimately felt like I was going to throw up.
So as I waited for my audition, I paced up and down a hallway, constantly muttering Shakespeare under my breath. By the time I was called up, I was confident that I had remembered everything. That didn't stop me from being nervous of course…
I was actually cut off in the middle of both monologues. Since that had happened to a few other people, I assumed that the teachers/judges were simply running short on time. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was rather disappointed though. I had worked really hard to memorize the Shakespearean monologue, and I had worked super hard to figure out how I was going to act out the Shawshank Redemption monologue… I just wish I could have performed both in their fullness.
Regardless, I'm happy that I made it through. One of the teachers said that I seemed like a good girl, and it was clear that I had learned a fair bit by being in drama class. I was told that tomorrow morning, at around seven, I would receive a text or call saying whether or not I was in the drama program.
So, yeah… Because of that, I am still super nervous. I mean, I can bear it if I don't get in, but I'll still be pretty disappointed if I don't. Regardless, my mum and dad say they are proud of me for getting through my first audition. Pray for me, guys!
This is Nadi, SIGNING OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment