Sunday, February 22, 2015

RID Video React: Meet Strongarm

As usual, go and check out Hasbro's official transformers.com. And, as usual, you can see the video of topic here, or just watch it below.
Again, as usual, you can see a refreshed me watch this video and talk about… shipping. Note that I recorded this last week.
Ok, boys, lets get this over with quickly. Australia already has the first episode out, and I'm determined to access it!
I said so in the video, and I don't think I ever mentioned it in past posts: these backgrounds are simply astounding. I love the watercolor-esq style. Anyway, is it just me, or does this look like Jasper, Nevada? That would be awesome if we got to go to Jasper and meet older Raf, older Jack, older Miko… It's been couple years since Predacons Rising, so the kids will be quite a bit older by now.

"Luitenant!"

Again with the temple-esq area. It looks like Bumblebee's hood has been scratched, and he's going in full reverse towards the edge of a cliff. This is why its important to pay attention to your mirrors. Anyway, I suppose 'Bee was probably attacked by some 'Con and he retreated by hitting reverse. Unfortunately, his full attention was on the danger at hand and not on the cliff edge. It's a good thing he has Strongarm to watch his back.

I initially thought that this gun was Strongarm's capture device, but that didn't make sense to me, because in the past, Strongarm's capture device was longer, kind of like a rifle.
Later in the video, Strongarm draws what we know to be her capture device. Or not. At this point, I'm not sure about anything. Either Strongarm has a rifle and handgun (both of which transform into some form of laser crossbow) and we have yet to actually see her capture device (which seems unlikely), or the 'rifle' is the capture device and Strongarm has a handgun that looks almost exactly like it, or both are actually the same capture device and the device can change sizes.

"Watch the birdie!"
Constance Zimmer punches out Constance Zimmer. Strongarm can throw some badass one-liners too! For some reason, I didn't realize how very large Filch was until now. (Despite clear suggestions). We still have yet to see Filch in any other mode besides bird mode, but I bet she is a pretty big femme.

"You're my ties to Cybertron. More than any rule book."
"You're gonna be ok."
"But that's not to say I won't be writing you all up."
[Insert shippy look here] I'm wondering just how well Strongarm will adapt to being on earth. This whole conversation suggests a Strongarm who is way more used to Cybertronian traditions and rules and is possibly unsure about being on earth. Or a Strongarm who is intent on following and impressing Bumblebee (who is rather encouraging). Or, more likely, both. On earth, things are different, and Strongarm is gonna have to adapt to an unorthodox team with lack of protocol. You know what, I'm not making any sense right now seeing as my mind is starting to go numb, so let's get this over with.

Shippy, shippy, shippy…

So far, Strongarm seems pretty simple. She's been trained to follow the rule book and that's what she does. She's completely badass and has a gung-ho fighting style. Strongarm also has a certain level of naïvety, if that's the right word, which it probably isn't. Bumblebee is her hero, pretty much, and Strongarm is intent on impressing him. Though Strongarm is probably at the very least reluctant to go outside of protocol, I think her loyalty to Bumblebee might encourage her to think outside the box and take certain things that you just can't solve with rules into consideration.
Like Bumblebee, I can't wait to see Strongarm develop as a character. While I initially thought that Strongarm was going to be one of those characters who I wouldn't like because she is such a stickler for the rules, so far I'm actually liking her character. Strongarm is pretty enthusiastic, and eager to bring her training to the field. It's just, in contrast to Sideswipe, she needs to take her rule book out of consideration from time to time.
Unlike Smokescreen, the Elite Guard rookie from TFPrime, I can't see Strongarm going off and doing something rash in order to prove herself. Just throwing that out there. But then, you never know…
I swear that the writers are playing with us when it comes to a romantic relationship for Strongarm. It's not that often when we see romantic relationships in the Transformers cartoons. Actually, I'm probably wrong… Elita-1 and Sentinel were apparently an item in TFAnimated, Silverbolt and Blackarachnia had some form of relationship in Beast Wars, and there was a suggested relationship between Arcee and Cliffjumper in TFPrime… just to name a few. Anyway, I'm willing to bet the fandom will be shipping Strongarm with almost everyone in the cartoon. But canonly, I'm not sure what the writers are playing at. Just from the videos, there's a suggestion of a possible romantic relationship between Strongarm and 'Bee. I'm trying to avoid giving my opinion, but screw that. Sideswipe and Strongarm would be a more interesting couple. But, I digress like a girl. Moving on.
I'm mildly interested in Strongarm's past. Like Grimlock and Sideswipe, Strongarm is a new character to this cartoon universe. Thus, she is a whole new character to explore. (We already know most of Bumblebee's past). What encouraged Strongarm to be an Elite Guard? Why was she assigned to be Bumblebee's partner? I'm not sure if the cartoon will ever address Strongarm's past, or Sideswipe's. (They'll have to address Grimlock's past in some way at some point). But, here's to hoping they will.
Well, that's all I can think of to write today. I'm gonna go see if I can gain access to the first episode of Transformers: Robots In Disguise. GOSH, I'm so pumped!!
'Til all are one!

[Check out this badass fanart of Cadet Strongarm ready for duty by raikoh-illust on Deviantart]

If you want to check out my other Robots In Disguise posts, the links are below.
RID Video React: Meet Sideswipe
RID Video React: Meet Grimlock
RID Video React: Meet Bumblebee
RID Video React: Meet the 'Cons
RID Video Reaction: Meet Team 'Bee
RID Video Reaction: Meet the Autobots
RID Decepticons: GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!
RID (2015) Season One Trailer Analysis
RID (2015) EPISODE SNEAK PEEKS! Masters of Destruction
RID (2015) EPISODE SNEAK PEEKS! Bumblebee's Mission
Happy 2015! Also, Robots in Disguise update
Robots In Disguise 2015 DECEPTICON UPDATE!
Robots In Disguise (2015) UPDATES!

No comments:

Post a Comment