Happy 12/12/12 ya'll! Just for the fun of it, I'll post 12 facts about New Zealand (mostly because The Hobbit is comin our tomorrow). Enjoy today! It's gonna be the last one like it until the next century!
1. The Maori—the first people to come to New Zealand—traditionally greet each other by pressing their noses together.
2. Bats are the only land mammals native to the country.
3. Auckland—New Zealand's largest city—was built on an active volcano field.
4. Snakes are banned everywhere on that island, including zoos.
5. Parents aren't allowed to give kids names with more than 100 characters.
6. One New Zealand insect related to a cricket can grow as big a person's hand (It's called a weta).
7. In the city of Rotorua—a hot spot for geothermal activity—steam rises from some sidewalk cracks.
8. The Maori people called this nation the 'Land of the long white cloud.'
9. Parts of Frying pan lake are hot enough to boil an egg.
10. Wellington, New Zealand, is the southernmost national capital on the planet.
11. Hokey Pokey—vanilla ice cream with toffee chunks—is a popular national treat (and my dad's most fave ice cream flavor).
12. A hill there is named 'Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu.'
(I'm sure I didn't spell the last fact correctly)…